Available On Enquiry
Purpose of the role:
· To enforce all legislation for which the Service is responsible: to investigate detected or alleged offences; to provide advice to traders and members of the public related to trading standards matters and to undertake allied activities.
· To undertake the inspection of trading premises, services, facilities and selling claims for the purpose of ensuring compliance with the legislation enforced, the promotion of the aims and objectives of the Service and for the purpose of monitoring or research surveys into trade practices etc.
· To keep appraised of legislation and technical developments and changing trading practices as they impinge on his/her functions and for these purposes, in accordance with the Service’s policy, to liaise with those officers having specialist responsibility within the Service.
· To investigate detected or alleged offences against trading standards legislation and associated malpractice in relation to more serious incidents or directed enforcement to prepare reports on investigations and research undertaken.
· To obtain relevant statements from witnesses, to make recommendations as to the action to be taken and where necessary to prepare letters to businesses, draft documents for court purposes and to give evidence in relation to less serious incidents, to take corrective action by cautionary advice to businesses.
· To provide advice and guidance to businesses to enable them to comply with the requirements of trading standards legislation and allied civil law in response to requests from businesses, members of the public and other agencies, to provide information and advice on the means available for dealing with civil complaints.
· To ensure that proper records are maintained of all work undertaken in the manner directed.
· To be responsible for the care, custody and proper use of standards and equipment allocated to or used by him/her.
· To supervise staff when appropriate in accordance with the Service’s training policy to provide practical training to other staff as required.
· To ensure that his/her responsibilities for the supervision and training of staff are exercised in compliance with the County Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
· To ensure that his/her own methods of working and those of the staff for which he/she is responsible are in conformity with the County Council and Departmental Health and Safety policies and to report, as directed, any incident affecting health and safety.
· To ensure his/her own effective operation, by maintaining contacts with other enforcement agencies and departments.
This Vacancy is no longer open for applications. Please search vacancies or submit your CV