Environmental Health, Other Roles
Competitive Salary Offered
Main Purpose of the Job
Provide high quality specialised services in the area of private sector Housing and advise on the full range of issues which meet the needs of the Council’s multi-racial community including managing projects and assisting in policy development as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Act as Lead Officer on allocated projects and carry a case load ensuring all work is undertaken in accordance with statutory requirements, the Council’s policies and procedures, the highest professional practice and to the benefit of the residents of the Borough.
2. Provide specialist technical advice on all issues relating to the work of Environmental Health - Housing and be responsible for ensuring that such advice is given in accordance with the best professional standards, where appropriate assuming and exercising delegated statutory authority.
3. Ensure compliance with current legislation making decisions on applications or dealing with issues as they arise, or within prescribed timescales, and using enforcement and other legal measures as necessary.
4. Promote the work and services of the Directorate and Section liaising with other services within the Council, external bodies and statutory authorities including the provision of information, advice, guidance and assistance to residents of the Borough, elected members and businesses.
5. As an authorised Officer provide professional / technical advice whilst undertaking Environmental Health Housing enforcement and inspection duties.
6. Exercise delegated authority where authorised to act as an Officer or Inspector on behalf of the Council under the appropriate legislative provisions and ensure statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged in relation to housing, including Houses in Multiple Occupation.
7. To undertake more complex programmed and complaint inspections, surveys and investigations under relevant Environmental Health Legislation, including visiting sites alone taking necessary action, such visits will involve attending locations and encountering situations which may involve personal risk.
8. Carry a caseload prioritising and programming work and making day-to-day decisions on cases as required.
9. Initiate and carry out enforcement and legal process functions in residential and commercial premises, including the prosecution, seizure or detention of` goods, issuing of notices, application for and execution of warrants necessitating the forced entry to premises.
10. Provide specialist technical advice and guidance to all service users including residents, consumers, traders and businesses on all Environmental Health matters.
11. Responsible for the proper storage, care, calibration of all specialist and routine equipment which may be necessary for the carrying out of the post in accordance with best practice.
12. Prepare case reports and make recommendations for legal proceedings and provide briefings for legal representatives.
13. Produce witness statements, attend court and other legal forums and act as an expert witness in Environmental Health issues on behalf of the Council.
14. From time-to-time coordinate responses on multi-disciplinary issues where the public is at risk and where liaison with and action from other organisations and Council departments is necessary.
15. Participate in the preparation of policies, procedures and guidance notes and the development of quality assurance and system manuals on good practice.
16. To prepare correspondence and reports for, and represent the Section at Committees / Sub-Committees, or be a representative of the Council at Forums, Multi-disciplinary working groups, etc.
17. To represent the Council on liaison and multi—disciplinary working groups both within and outside the Borough and ensure appropriate liaison with all interested parties on issues including the public, elected members, other Council Departments and other Local Authorities.
18. The post holder may be required to undertake any duty appropriate to the post within any team of the Section at any location within the Borough
19. To ensure that all duties and responsibilities are performed in accordance with all Council’s Policies and Procedures including Financial Regulations, Standing Orders, Personnel Policies and Procedures, Health & Safety Policy etc.
20. To participate in the Council’s Performance Management Scheme achieving identified standards / targets and ensuring these are met within the agreed timescale.
21. Keep abreast of professional developments, legislative changes and best practice in all areas of Environmental Health, attending Continuing Professional Development Courses as appropriate and applying updated knowledge to present ease load and sharing information gathered on Courses, including providing training for other staff
22. To operate and utilise Information Technology as appropriate to the work of the Section and assist with the identification and development of new IT applications that would improve the efficiency of the Section.
23. To promote and comply with the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy in the opposition and eradication of all forms of discrimination and to ensure all services are accessible to all users.
24. To undertake any other duties and responsibilities which may from time-to-time arise which are within the capabilities of the post holder and commensurate with the grade of the post.
1. To maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job and participate in appropriate training/development activities including the council’s performance, development and review scheme.
2. Ensure that all duties and responsibilities are discharged in accordance with the council’s policies and procedures, Code of Conduct and relevant regulations and legislation. To comply with the council’s equal opportunities and diversity policies ensuring anti-discriminatory practice within the service area.
This Vacancy is no longer open for applications. Please search vacancies or submit your CV