Available On Enquiry
Job Description Environmental Health Officer
Main Purpose of the Job
To administer Environmental Health duties relating to food, health and safety, water quality and public health. This includes dealing with complaints, service requests, business advice/training, investigations, project work, sampling and routine inspections.
Main Duties of the Job
1. To carry out inspection duties under the full range of legislation enforced by the Commercial Teams, deal with any follow up work and represent the Authority at Court as required.
2. To deal with complaints relating to Commercial Environmental Health work.
3. To carry out investigations into breaches of Commercial Environmental Health legislation.
4. To advise local businesses on Commercial Environmental Health law.
5. To provide the Environmental Health Commercial Manager with reports, information, advice or guidance as required.
6. To participate in health and business education activities.
7. To prepare statutory notices in relation to Commercial Environmental Health legislation.
8. To investigate cases of infectious diseases or suspected infectious disease as required.
10 to implement food hazard warnings as instructed.
11. To undertake water and food sampling as required.
12 To carry out all duties in accordance with the Council’s Corporate Policies covering Equal Opportunities and Customer Care.
13. To ensure that corporate and departmental health and safety policies are implemented at all times and to raise any concerns regarding their operation or any other health and safety matters with the appropriate line manager.
14. To use office technology as required.
15. To carry out all duties in accordance with specified quality procedures
16. Such other duties within the scope of the grade indicated as may be required from time to time by the Head of Planning and Public Protection.
17 To maintain and extend awareness of legislation and regulations relevant to Commercial Environmental Health and to ensure that staff are acquainted with them.
18 To supervise staff temporarily allocated to the service area.
19. To assist in the training of other staff.
20. To carry out investigations into breaches of Commercial Environmental Health legislation and identify and recommend appropriate courses of action
21. To advise national businesses on practical and legal problems and liaise at all levels with manufacturers, exporters and producers to ensure compliance with national and EC legislation.
22. To develop a lead officer role, in relation to one or more aspects of environmental health work as required.
23 To represent the Section at meetings with other Local Authorities or outside bodies.
24. To carry out investigation into complex/serious environmental health breaches.
25. To supervise the work of technical officers on specific projects etc. where appropriate.
26. To assist Environmental Health Commercial Manager in the general management of the section.
27. To represent the Section/Division in corporate/departmental working parties.
28. To consider infringement reports from technical officers in the absence of the Environmental Health Commercial Manager.
29. To deputise for the Environmental Health Commercial Manager at team meetings.
30. To allocate complaints to other members of the section, in the absence of the Environmental Health Commercial Manager.