Competitive Salary Offered
We are looking for an experienced Environmental Health Officer to join our local authority client
Excellent rates paid, contract until March 2021
Main purpose of the job
1. To enforce and advise on legislation administered by the team
2. As a senior officer to be responsible for the effective operation of a specialist professional function and undertake more complex enforcement work.
Main responsibilities and tasks
1. To be responsible under the direction of the Food Safety Manager for the enforcement of food safety and related legislation, the level of authorisation being determined by qualification and experience. To undertake inspections at commercial premises to seek compliance with relevant legislation and to give advice and guidance on preventing contraventions and take enforcement action as appropriate. To investigate and advise on complaints and enquiries from members of the public and businesses. To meet performance targets for proactive and reactive work.
2. To participate in the team’s imported food enforcement programme and respond to requests for imported food clearances and export certificates.
3. To undertake sampling in accordance with the team’s sampling policy and liaise with the official laboratories.
4. To assist in maintaining and improving procedures and other documentation used by the team and to make a positive contribution towards the team achieving its objectives. To undertake projects and research, either as a project team leader or in co-operation with another officer.
5. To detect and investigate infringements in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, related legislation and Department procedures. To prepare reports with a view to legal proceedings. To attend court and tribunals on the Council's behalf and assist in the preparation of legal proceedings. To keep familiar with new legislation, policies and techniques of investigation. To ensure safekeeping of property and documents, as part of any investigation.
6. To participate in the team’s training programme for businesses and other groups on food hygiene and related matters. To provide information for, and participate in publicity initiatives, trader/consumer seminars and training courses, with a view to raising awareness of the service and improving education. Provide one to one training and coaching to individual businesses where required.
7. To investigate and carryout surveillance in cases of infectious diseases and food poisoning.
8. To work evenings, early mornings and weekends as required and to undertake such duties as might be determined by the Head of the Department, or representative in preparing for and responding to a major emergency. To respond to a call out of hours in the event of a major incident or emergency, if able to do so. Any other broadly analogous duties, which may be allocated from time to time.
Responsible for equipment used in connection with duties and goods, including evidence, taken into possession in connection with duties
The Council expects the highest standards of conduct from its employees and at all times you must carry out your duties with integrity and in accordance with the Code of Conduct for employees.
The Council has a strong commitment to achieving equality of opportunity and expects all employees to implement and promote its policy in their own work.
Health and Safety
The Council is committed to a healthy and safe working environment and expects all its employees to implement and promote its policy in all aspects of their work.
The Council is committed to maintaining privacy of all its staff and customers. It expects all staff to handle all individuals’ personal information in a sensitive and professional manner. All staff are under an obligation not to gain access or attempt to gain access to information they are not authorised to have.
Applicant must be EHORB registered with at least 2 years experience of carrying out official controls for food hygiene and food standards. The applicant must be able to demonstrate at least 20 hours relevant CPD.
This Vacancy is no longer open for applications. Please search vacancies or submit your CV