Competitive Salary Offered
Job Title: Trading Standards Officer
Main Purpose of the Job / Key Objectives:
The enforcement of all Trading Standards legislation within the Council with a particular emphasis on Animal Health and Animal Feed work
To give legal advice and support promoting compliance with the law through education, investigating complaints and checking the quality of goods and services.
Subject to qualification and competence, to specialise in a piece of legislation, and/or an area of work and to lead a team of officers on an investigation
Subject to qualification and competence, to oversee less experienced officers during case work.
1. The post holder will occasionally be required to work outside ‘normal’ office hours
2. The post holder may occasionally be required to assist in the supervision of trainee officers, work experience candidates and volunteers involved in test purchasing exercises.
3. Subject to qualification and competence the postholder maybe expected to oversee the workloads of, and allocation of work to, other members of staff.
1. Experience of dealing with the public as clients of a service is desirable at any level of appointment to this post.
Experience in the following areas is desirable only for appointment at higher grades:
2. Mentoring more junior staff to ensure compliance
3. Effective negotiation with businesses to help achieve resolution of fair trading complaints
4. Enforcing and promoting compliance with trading standards related criminal law.
5. Carrying out programmes of work to required standards both qualitatively and quantitatively
6. Effective enforcement experience across a range of functions including investigating, collecting evidence, preparing cases and giving evidence in court.
7. Writing reports for committees, other Services of the Council and relevant external agencies
8. Implementing Action Plans and contributing to business planning
9. Dealing with politically sensitive and contentious matters
The Trading Standards Qualifications Framework (TSQF) delivered by the Trading Standards Institute provides a modern qualification framework for all staff delivering trading standards services.
There are five levels of qualification within the framework (plus the Higher Certificate for existing professionals?)
Certificate of Competence
Core Skills Certificate in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (CSCATS)
Module Certificate in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (MCATS)
Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (DCATS)
Higher Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (HDCATS)
Higher Certificate in Consumer affairs and Trading Standards (HCCATS)
The framework is modular, each module consisting of both examinations and assessment of a portfolio of evidence demonstrating competency in practical work.
A required pass level in a recognised degree will provide exemption from most if not all examinations - there is an exemption procedure.
1. Ability to adapt working hours to meet job requirements e.g. evening Committee meetings in different locations.
2. Evening and weekend call-out availability.
3. A current full driving licence